Mediterranean Vegetables in batter
If you are looking for an easy to make and tasty vegetarian dish, try out the Mediterranean Vegetables in a batter. Crisp and golden crunchy batter surrounds Mediterranean vegetables, turning them into a substantial vegetarian dish. Use other vegetables if you prefer.
You will need:
1 small eggplant, trimmed, halved and thickly sliced
120 g plain (all-purpose) flour
300 ml milk
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 red onion
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
5 tbsp sunflower oil
30 gr freshly grated Parmesan cheese
fresh herbs (thyme, basil, oregano)
1. Place the eggplant in a colander or sieve, sprinkle generously with salt and leave for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse and pat dry with kitchen paper.
2. For the batter: Beat the egg in a large bowl, then gradually beat in the flour and a little milk to make a smooth, thick paste. Blend in the rest of the milk, add the thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a cool place until required.
3. Cut the onion into quarters and slice the zucchini.Seed and quarter the peppers. Put the oil in a roasting pan and place in the oven. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F. Add the vegetables to the roasting pan, turn in the oil to coat them well and return to the oven for 20 minutes, until they start to cook.
It is important to get the oil in the roasting pan really hot before adding the batter, or it will not rise well. Use a roasting pan or ovenproof dish that is not too deep.
4. Whisk the batter again, then pour it over the Mediterranean vegetables and return the roasting pan to the oven for a further 30 minutes, until the batter is well puffed up and golden.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 190C/375F and cook for a further 10-15 minutes, until the batter is crisp around the edges. Sprinkle with Parmesan and herbs and serve.